April 3, 2018
Department of Philosophy
Patricia S. Greenspan
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
2853 Ontario Rd., N.W., #622
Washington, D.C. 20009
- Educational Background
- Barnard College, Columbia University: A.B.
cum laude with distinction in philosophy,
- Harvard University, Department of Philosophy:
A.M., 1968; Ph.D., 1972 (dissertation: Derived Obligation: Some Paradoxes Escaped)
- Professional Experience
- University of Maryland: Professor, Department of
Philosophy, 1989-present; Associate Professor,
- Indiana University: Visiting Professor, Department
of Philosophy, Spring 1989
- Ohio State University: Visiting Associate
Professor, Department of Philosophy, Winter, Spring
- University of Chicago: Associate Professor with tenure,
Department of Philosophy and the College, 1978-79;
Assistant Professor, 1972-78
- Harvard University: Teaching Fellow, Department of
Philosophy, 1969-72 (Resident Tutor, Lowell House,
1970-72); Department of General Education,
- Awards and Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa, elected 1966
- Woodrow Wilson Graduate Fellowship,
- Danforth Graduate Fellowship, 1966-72
- Harvard University, Department of Philosophy:
Emily and Charles Carrier Award for a dissertation in
moral philosophy, 1972
- University of Pittsburgh, Department of Philosophy:
Andrew Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1975-76
- National Endowment for the Humanities: Fellowship
for Individual Study and Research, 1983-84
- University of Maryland, Division of Arts and
Humanities: Special Research Assignment, Arts and
Humanities, 1984, 1988; Graduate Research Board Award,
- National Humanities Center Fellowship, 1990-91
- Australian National University, Research School of
Social Sciences, Visiting Fellowship 1995
- Other Positions
- University of Bristol: Visiting Scholar,
Department of Philosophy, 1983-84
- Georgetown University: Research Associate,
Department of Philosophy, 1991
- Sydney University: Visiting Scholar, Department of
- Emotions and Reasons: An Inquiry into Emotional
Justification (New York: Routledge, Chapman and
- Practical Guilt: Moral Dilemmas, Emotions, and
Social Norms (New York: Oxford University Press,
- "Conditional Oughts and Hypothetical Imperatives,"
Journal of Philosophy, 72 (1975), 259-76.
- "Wiggins on Historical Inevitability and
Incompatibilism," Philosophical Studies, 29 (1976),
- "Oughts and Determinism: A Response to Goldman,"
Philosophical Review, 87 (1978), 77-83.
- "Behavior Control and Freedom of Action,"
Philosophical Review, 87 (1978), 225-40; reprinted
in J. M. Fischer (ed.), Moral Responsibility
(Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1986), pp.
- "A Case of Mixed Feelings: Ambivalence and the
Logic of Emotion," in A. O. Rorty (ed.), Explaining
Emotions (Berkeley: University of California
Press, 1980), pp. 191-204.
- "Emotions, Reasons, and 'Self-Involvement',"
Philosophical Studies, 38 (1980),
- "Emotions as Evaluations," Pacific Philosophical
Quarterly, 62 (1981), 158-69.
- "Moral Dilemmas and Guilt," Philosophical
Studies, 43 (1983), 117-25.
- "Identificatory Love," Philosophical
- "Unfreedom and Responsibility," in F. Schoeman
(ed.), Responsibility, Character, and the Emotions:
New Essays in Moral Psychology (Cambridge:
University Press, 1987), pp. 63-80.
- "Subjective Guilt and Responsibility," Mind,
101 (1992), 287-303; reprinted in R. J. Wallace (ed.),
Reason, Emotion, and Will, International
Research Library of Philosophy (Hampshire, U.K.:
Ashgate Publishing Ltd., 1999); translated into Polish and reprinted in J. Holowka (ed.),
Philosophy of Morality: Guilt, Punishment and Forgiveness
- "Free Will and the Genome Project," Philosophy
Public Affairs, 22 (1993), 31-43; reprinted in H. and J.
Lindemann Nelson (eds.), Meaning and Medicine: A Reader in
the Philosophy of Health Care (New York: Routledge, 1998).
- "Guilt as an Identificatory Mechanism," Pacific
Philosophical Quarterly, 74 (1993), 46-59.
- "Guilt and Virtue," Journal of Philosophy, 91
- "Perspectival Guilt," in W. Sinnott-Armstrong et al
(eds.), Modality, Morality, and Belief: Essays in
Honor of Ruth Marcus (Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press, 1994).
- "Moral Responses and Moral Theory: Socially-Based
Externalist Ethics," Journal of
Ethics, 2 (1998), 103-22.
- "Impulse and Self-Reflection: Frankfurtian Responsibility and Free Will,"
Ethics, 3 (1999), 325-40
- "Emotional Strategies and Rationality," Ethics, 110 (2000), 469-87.
- "Genes, Electrotransmitters, and Free Will," in D.
Wasserman and R. Wachbroit (eds.), Genetics and
Criminal Behavior: Methods, Meanings, and Morals
(New York: Cambridge University Press,
- "Good Evolutionary Reasons: Evolutionary Psychiatry and Women's Depression," Philosophical Psychology, 14 (2001), 327-38.
- "Emotions, Rationality, and Mind/Body," Philosophy, 52 (2003), 113-25; simultaneously published in A. Hatzimoysis (ed.), Philosophy and the Emotions: Royal Institute of Philosophy Supplement: 52 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003); reprinted in R. Solomon (ed.), Thinking about Feeling: Contemporary Philosophers on Emotion (New York: Oxford University Press, 2004).
- "Practical Reasoning and Emotion," in A. Mele and P. Rawling (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Rationality (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004).
- "The Problem with Manipulation," American Philosophical Quarterly, 40 (2003), 155-64.
- "Responsible Psychopaths," Philosophical Psychology, 16 (2003), 417-29
- "Emotions, Innateness, and Ethics," in G. S. Isci, G. S. Ysci, D. Direnc, and Z. Cetiner, Inside Outside In: Emotions, Body, and Society Izmir: Ege University Press, 2004), pp. 17-31
- "Asymmetrical Reasons," in M. E. Reicher and J. C. Marek (eds.), Experience and Analysis: Proceedings of the 27th International Wittgenstein Symposium (Vienna: oebv&hpt, 2005), pp. 387-94
- "Practical Reasons and Moral 'Ought'," in Russ Schafer-Landau (ed.), Oxford Studies in Metaethics, Vol. II (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007), pp. 172-94
- Interview, in J. H. Aguilar and A. A. Buckareff (eds.), Philosophy of Action: 5 Questions (Automatic Press/VIP: 2009)
- "Learning Emotions and Ethics," in P. Goldie (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Emotion (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010).
- "Resting Content: Sensible Satisficing?," American Philosophical Quarterly, Special Issue on Rationality, 46 (2009), 305-17.
- "Making Room for Options: Moral Reasons, Imperfect Duties, and Choice," Social Philosophy and Policy 27 (2010), 181-205; simultaneously published in E. F. Paul, F.D. Miller, Jr., and J. Paul (eds.), Moral Obligation, pp. 181-205 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- "Craving the Right: Emotions and Moral Reasons," in C. Bagnoli (ed.), Morality and the Emotions (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012).
- "Free Will and Rational Coherency," Philosophical Issues 22 (2012), 185-200.
- "Confabulating the Truth: In Defense of 'Defensive' Moral Reasoning," Journal of Ethics, 19 (2015), 105-123
- "Responsible Psychopaths Revisited," Journal of Ethics, 20 (2016), 265-278
- "Emotions in Practical Reasoning," in R. Chang and K. Sylvan (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Practical Reason (forthcoming)
- "The Evaluative Content of Emotion," Philosophy (forthcoming)
- H. N. Castañeda, The Structure of Morality,
Philosophical Review, 75 (1976),
- R. N. Hancock, Twentieth Century Ethics,
Philosophical Review, 75 (1976),
- D. C. Dennett, Elbow Room: The Varieties of
Free Will Worth Wanting, Philosophical
Review, 95 (1986), 257-261.
- T. McConnell, Gratitude, Mind, 103
- O. Flanagan, Self-Expressions: Mind, Morals,
and the Meaning of Life, Philosophical
Review (1998), 128-30.
- "Agent Causation and the Humean Self": University
of Pittsburgh, 1975
- "Behavior Control and Freedom of Action": Invited
Paper, Eastern Division, American Philosophical Association, 1976
- "Emotions as Evaluations": University of Maryland,
Eastern Division, American Philosophical Association,
- "Marcus on Moral Dilemmas": Chapel Hill Colloquium in
Philosophy, University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1980
- "Emotional Pressure and Reasons for Action":
University of Pittsburgh, 1980
- "The Logic of Action from Anger": Oxford
University, University of California at San Diego,
Johns Hopkins University, 1982
- "Justifying Motivation by Emotion": University of
Virginia, 1982; Ohio State University, 1983
- "Emotional Appropriateness: A Case of Suspicion":
University of Bristol, University of Dublin, University
of Glasgow, University of London (Kings College), 1984
- "Emotions Without Essences: Varieties of Fear":
Cornell University, 1984; University of Cincinnati Philosophy Symposium, 1985;
Memphis State University, 1986
- "Some Morally Significant Emotions": Greensboro Symposium in
Philosophy, University of
North Carolina at Greensboro, 1985
- "Sophie's Choices: More on Exclusive Requirement":
Division, American Philosophical Association, 1986
- "Explaining Emotional Motivation: Grief and
'Subjection' to Emotion": University of Michigan Philosophy Symposium, 1988
- "Subjective Guilt and Responsibility": University
of Rochester, 1988; Indiana University, 1989
- "Reply to Critics Baier and Farrell": American
Philosophical Association (Pacific Division),
- "Fooling the Motivational Meter: A Reply to
Roberts": American Philosophical Association (Central
- "Guilt and Virtue": North Carolina State
- "Guilt as an Identificatory Mechanism": National
Humanities Center, University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill, 1991
- "Free Will and the Genome Project": Invited paper American
Philosophical Association (Eastern Division), 1991
- "Perspectival Guilt": American Philosophical
Association (Pacific Division), 1992
- "Protagorean Realism": Georgetown University,
Queens University (Kingston, Ontario), 1993
- "Emotions, Genetics, and Free Will" (poster), International Society for Research on Emotions, Cambridge, 1994
- "Cause, Character, and Control: Genetic Accounts
of Criminal Behavior": University of Maryland,
Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy (Conference
on "Claims of Genetic Influence on Criminal Behavior"),
University of Auckland, University of Otago, University
of Canterbury, Australian National University
(Philosophy Program, Research School of Social
- "Free Will and Genetic Determinism: Locating the
Problem(s)": University of Melbourne (History and
Philosophy of Science), University of Sydney
(Department of Psychology), University of Queensland, 1995
- "Social Bases of Ethics: The Metaethical Role of
Moral Emotion": Australian National University
(Faculty of Philosophy), La Trobe University, Monash
University, University of Queensland, 1995
- "Emotions, Evaluation, and Ethics: The Role of
Emotions in Formulating and Justifying Ethical
Judgments": International Society for Research on
Emotions, Toronto, 1996
- "Genes, Electrotransmitters, and Free Will":
Canadian Philosophical Association, 1997
- "Emotional Strategies and Rational Choice": University of New Mexico, 1997; Institudo de Investigaciones Filosoficas, Mexico City, 1999
- "Commentary on Shuman 'Softened Science in the
Courtroom'": Conference on Values in Psychiatric
Nosology, Association for the Advancement of Philosophy
and Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern
Medical Center at Dallas, 1997
- "Correcting Sentimentalist Free Will: Thoughts on
Hume on Liberty and Blame": Invited
Paper, Hume Society, Stirling, 1998
- "Emotional Strategies and Rationality" (slide show): Meetings of the International Society for Research on Emotions, University of Wuerzburg, 1998
- "Emotions and Rationality Revisited": Invited paper, 14th Interamerican
Philosophy Congress, Puebla, Mexico, 1999
- "'Good Evolutionary Reasons'": Association for the Advancement of Philosophy and Psychiatry, New York City, 1999
- "Responsible Psychopaths (and other Emotionally Impaired Moral Agents)": University of Miami Spring 2000 Public Lecture Series, 2000
- "Humean Sentimentalism and Free Will": University of Miami, 2000
- "Emotions and Rationality": Association for the Advancement of Philosophy and Psychiatry, 2000
- "Integrity as a Moral Reason": University of South Carolina, 2000
- "Emotions, Rationality, and Mind/Body": Invited Paper, Royal Institute for Philosophy Conference on Emotions, 2001
- "Emotions, Innateness, and Ethics": International Society for Research on Emotions (poster), Rutgers Workshop on Culture and the Innate Mind, 2002; Ege University Cultural Studies Seminar, Sheffield Conference on Culture and the Innate Mind, 2003
- "Adequate Reason": Washington University, Bowling Green State University, 2003
- "Asymmetrical Practical Reasons," Invited Paper, 27th International Wittgenstein Symposium, 2004
- "Emotions as Practical Reasons" (poster): International Society for Research on Emotions, Bari, Italy, 2005
- "Sensible Satisficing": Florida State University, 2006
- "Holding Psychopaths Responsible": 30th International Congress on Law and Mental Health, University of Padua, 2007
- "Moral Reasons and Imperfect Obligation": Australian Association for Philosophy, 2008; Social Philosophy and Policy Center, Bowling Green State University, 2008
- "Confabulating the Truth: In Defense of 'Defensive' Moral Reasoning": University of South Carolina, 2011; Cogito Research Center, University of Bologna, 2012
- "Questioning and Considering Moral Intuitions": Cogito Research Center, University of Bologna, 2012
- "Reconceiving Practical Reasons": Symposium, German Philosophical Society, Humboldt University, Berlin, 2017
- "The Evaluative Content of Emotion": Royal Institute of Philosophy, London, 2017
- Professional Service
- American Philosophical Association: Member, Program Committee, Western Division, 1977-78; Commentator, Eastern Division, 1972, 1984, 1988; Moderator, Eastern Division, 1978, 2001
- Board of Editorial Consultants, Public Affairs Quarterly, 1989-92
- American Council
of Learned Societies, Grant-in-Aid Program: Pre-screener, 1992
- Executive Council, Association for the Advancement of Philosophy and Psychiatry, 1996-2000
- Board of Advisers, Philosophy Gourmet Report, 2004-2006
- Chair, Planning Committee, Conference on Practical Rationality, University of Maryland, 2004-5
- Moderator, Conference on Action and Agency, University of Florida at Gainesville, 2005
- American Philosophical Association, Western
Division, 1972-79; Eastern Division,
- International Society for Research on Emotions, 1991-2008